My neighbor was getting rid of two unframed mirrors so I figured I’d snag them for a future project. Between TRYING to keep up with my blog and my family they sat in my garage for a couple months. Finally I decided on a quick DIY project to brighten up my upstairs hallway.
We had some scrap plywood that was thicker than I’d probably have chosen, but it was FREE! I cut the plywood to size with a 1.75 inch perimeter of plywood surrounding the mirrors and used mirror glue (or $6 at Home Depot) to attach it to the wood. I read somewhere a few months back when I made this mirror that some other adhesives will bleed through mirrors.
Once I had glued the mirrors in place on the plywood I attached the frame. I had bought pre-painted white trim pieces at Home Depot. Each piece was around $7 and I used two pieces. I measured the trim pieces to the length of the edges of the mirror and then cut a 45 degree angle facing outward so the pieces would connect as a rectangle. It was a total of 8 cuts at 45 degree angles. Then I glued the frame pieces in place.
Since I’m just a mom and not a carpenter and sort of eyeballed some of the measurements and then had some small gaps that I smeared with wood filler. I’m as technical with my terms as I am with my skills 🙂 After it dried for about 5 minutes I smoothed it off as much as I could so that I would not have to sand it smooth later (because I bought pre-painted pieces and didn’t want to repaint – LAZY). As you see – I am not a perfectionist.
I wanted to cover the seam between the two mirrors. I bought these wood dowels for under $2 each at Home Depot. I used 4 of them and cut them to size with a miter saw. You could use other saws to cut the wood but if you have a miter saw I find that to be quickest for this project because it will also cut your angles in the previous step.
Live and learn – I should have painted the dowels white before using the mirror adhesive to attach these to the mirrors. I was using a caulking gun with my glue so I felt a little crunched for time. The reason I’d suggest doing it before was because I had to take extra time to take a razor blade and scrape off the excess paint and glue from the mirror toward the end of the project. The glue came off clean but the paint was a bit of a mess to clear off.
I did not take a picture but I added a picture hook to the back of the mirror and threw my hubby in charge of hanging it on the wall. Our hallway has only one exterior window so I love the way the mirror reflects some of its light to brighten the space.