As a “fashion blogger” (using the term loosely) I share mostly casual wear and knotted tees are my jam! I get so many messages asking how I knot my t-shirts so I finally shared a video tutorial on my Facebook and Instagram pages and I’m giving a photo tutorial below:
How To Knot A T-Shirt
SHOP THIS OUTFIT:
Knotting a t-shirt or tank gives it a more fitted look which can be flattering and change the look of your everyday staple tee. I love a slouchy tee or tank that hangs a bit off the shoulder and lets a bralette peek out. Tying a knot in your t-shirt can give the impression your outfit is a bit “more” than just a throw-on-and-go look.
Half the battle is finding the right tee or tank. I generally like to find a longer top (a swing fit is ideal), or I’ll size up one size above my usual in a standard fit tee. This gives the top enough slack so you can tie the knot without it becoming a crop top.
Here are some tops from my own closet that I like to knot:
You can PIN the image below as an easy reminder! Follow me on Pinterest here.
STEP BY STEP: How To Knot A T-Shirt
- Make a circle with your thumb and ring finger and pull the bottom of your tee through the hole to make the top as fitted as you prefer. I generally like to knot my t-shirts on the side – so position your pull where you want the knot to end up.
- Twist the material you pulled through the circle you made with your thumb and index finger.
- Wrap the twisted material around your index and middle fingers.
- Pull through to form a knot.
- DONE – was that too easy?!
I got some questions as to whether this ruins your t-shirt. I throw everything in the washing machine and dryer and my tops have all shrunk back down into shape just fine. None of the tops I am recommending break the bank. So if they stretch out after a season or two they’ve run their natural course anyway. Most of my tees and tanks are white and become dingy after a few months of regular wear (over my spray tans).
Did you find this post helpful? If there are other tutorials you’d like to see please drop a comment below!!