As we prepare to leave Connecticut and move to Florida I asked those of you with more experience for tips for packing and moving across the country. We have moved several times but always locally so we didn’t need to pack quite so efficiently. I used my Walmart+ membership to grab a few packaging materials some of you suggested! With so much on my plate I was so thankful not to take the time to run to the store by using the fast and free shipping, no order minimum of my Walmart+ membership (excludes freight and marketplace items).
So with the help of you friends I wanted to share some tips STRAIGHT FROM THOSE OF YOU WITH EXPERIENCE for packing and moving across the country:
- hire packers if your budget allows (especially for kitchen stuff)
- all liquids in ziplock bags in plastic containers
- label everything (many suggested by room)
- get rid of as much as possible before the move
- pack your clothes on hangers (I bought this box with hanging rod using my Walmart+ membership and I’m going to grab a second set to pack my husband’s clothes as well)
- get a giant plastic wrap roll for bunching bulky items together like towels, patio cushions, etc.
- pack a first night bag so you aren’t digging though boxes on arrival
- use colored tape (and a number system) to label boxes (by room)
- take photos/video of your possessions for possible insurance situation
- keep furniture hardware in a plastic bag taped to the furniture so it’s easy to reassemble
- use Saran Wrap press and seal for jewelry and small items that would tangle
- get the new place deep cleaned before moving in
- sell everything and buy new
- keep your essentials with you: coffee maker, mugs, plates/utensils, toilet paper, etc.
THE RECURRING THEME WAS PURGE, DONATE, or SELL as much as possible before moving.
Here are some of the items I had delivered with my Walmart+ membership to pack with more ease:
- wardrobe boxes (they include a rod to hang clothing in the box)
- a roll of plastic stretch wrap
- glass packing kit
- foam pouches (for plates and other smaller, breakable kitchen items)
- lots of packing tape
If you are moving I already have a list of items I’m shipping to our next address with my Walmart+ membership the day before we leave. That way items like coffee filters and detergent are there when we arrive.
If you aren’t already a Walmart+ member you can sign up for a free 15 day trial or a monthly or annual membership here. Depending where you live there are grocery and gas benefits you might utilize as well!
Thank you to Walmart for sponsoring today’s post.